Monday, December 15, 2014

Christmas markets

I went to Christmas market in Brussels last year. It was just okay. I wasn't sure what to expect but I wasn't impressed with their Christmas market. In October, Amy asked me if I want to join her and two other friends to Germany Christmas markets. I heard the Germans know how to do the proper Christmas markets, so I said yes. I wanted a re-do. We booked a ticket to Basel, Switzerland leaving on Friday night and coming back really early on Monday morning. I actually was in Atlanta the Saturday prior and back in London on Friday morning. I decided to take Friday and Monday off. I could have worked but it was going to be too crazy. I slept really well on the flight to London. Thank to the business class flat bed. I was out for 6 hours from the time we took off and skipped dinner. The flight attendant woke me up just in time for breakfast.

After a short nap on Friday afternoon, I still felt tired since I didn't sleep much the night on Wednesday night. I couldn't believe that I was doing this, but this would be worth it. That was I kept telling myself as I was making the trip to Heathrow. I met up with Amy, Jessica and Laura at the terminal. The flight to Basel was short. We flew there because it was pretty cheap, 110 pounds return. We rented a car and checked in to the hotel in Basel that night. The following morning, we had a great and really cheap EUR 5 at the hotel. I was impressed. They had real eggs, sausage, bacon, yogurt, cereal, pastries and fruit. I was pretty determined to eat sensibly for the whole weekend. There were going to be a lot of deep fried, carb loaded and sugary food, but I would do my best to be good.

The first market that we went was Freiburg, Germany. It was about an hour away from Basel. By the time, we parked and walked to the market, it was almost 11AM. Even though Freiburg was a small town, I was really impressed on how big the market was. It was really nice and Christmasy. They had loads of Christmas tree ornaments, home made soaps, wood carving, anything artsy and food & gluhwein.

The first Gluhwein stall that we visited. I had red wine. It was good.
It was raining lightly. Not enough to use an umbrella.

Normally gluhwein is EUR 5, but if you return the mug, you'll get EUR 2 back. Or you can keep it for a souvenir.
I love these paper chandeliers. The color is so bright and cheery.
Kartofelpuffer or German potato pancakes. I had a tiny bite. Crispy shredded potatoes in an egg batter deep fried in oil. You eat it with apple or plum sauce.
This is the only sweet treat I bought the whole weekend. It was a light marshmallow fluff dipped in chocolate. I think I had the cappuccino flavor. They offered at least 10 flavors.
Another gluhwein stall. They're serious in decorating their little shops. Very festive.
We just ran into their regular market.
We drove through Black Forrest region. They're known for their cuckoo clocks. I got myself a cuckoo clock fridge magnet.
After Freiburg, we drove north to Heidleberg, which was much bigger than Freiburg. We checked in to the hotel, which was surprisingly very modern and nice. The nicest hotel I've ever stayed in Europe. Amy and I found this hotel from hotels.com, I don't remember looking at the pictures closely. I just knew the hotel had a good review. We booked a four people room, double bed and a sofa bed that was spacious enough for two. The room also had skylight and hardwood floor.

Sofa bed
They had a tub and standing shower.
We left the car at the hotel and walked to the market, which was about a mile. I bought hand and foot warmers to keep me warm. It was cold but nothing out of the ordinary for December in central Europe.
They sell lots of grilled meat from sausages, burgers, to hotdogs.
Moulin rouge theme
Lots of decorated ginger bread.

We also passed many stores. Their windows were nicely decorated.
I tried roasted chestnuts, which were really great. I love them.

Another stall's decoration that was over the top
This was interesting! Giant snow balls. The layers are like pie crust that was cut into small strips. Some of them have fillings.

Christmas tree with the Heidelberg castle in the background


Meat and more meat!
I took a picture of Amy from inside a store. We were just getting goofy.
 I forgot to take a picture but I tried the white gluhwein here. I like it better than the white wine.
Wooden houses
I bought this guy and his friend. One for me and one for my sister. They're so cute and original.
We stopped by at a pub before heading back to the hotel. I just had Diet coke. Two gluhwein in a day was plenty for me. We were in bed around 11PM.

The following morning we drove south to Colmar, France. This town was right off the Germany border, so it had a lot of German influence. The town was so pretty with colorful buildings.



A store decoration that was selling gingerbread and Christmas cookies.






Tintin and Snowy!

I had this for lunch. I just ate the hotdog and sauerkraut with mustard
I took a picture of Amy's beer glass. The girl's head piece, which was like a bat's wing, was Colmar traditional outfit. I got the fridge magnet, with properly covered butt and chest.
 We went to the hotel and sat at the hotel bar. Had something like cheesy flat bread to share.
Overall, I was so glad that I went. The markets were great. I hate being out in the cold for hours, but I could say this was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment